Question:
Recently, I have considered schooling in Germany as a civilian. Can a U.S. black earn a living there? Opinion.
sifurball
2006-07-28 07:30:06 UTC
This is a purely subjective question. All opinions welcomed, no matter how illicit. Does this economy based on at least these factors, social climate, economy, quality of life and whatever else the respondent feels that need be taken into consideration. To make a long story short, gimme the lowdown.
Seven answers:
2006-07-28 09:34:34 UTC
I am a native German and my husband is a teacher and an American. First of all you need a visa if you want to stay more than 90 days. And as a matter of fact the 90 days is within 6 month. That means if you stay in Germany for 90 days you have to leave the country and are not allowed to come back for half a year. In order to apply for a visa you need either have to have a sponsor (same like if you would apply for a green-card in the US). That sponsor would have to guarantee that he or she would pay up to 575 Euros per month for you if needed. That is because the government does not want you to be a burden for the public.

When my husband first came to Germany he came in as a tourist and applied right away for a visa (in German Aufenthaltserlaubnis). He applied also for the allowance to teach lessons as a freelancer and found a job right away at a language school. They pay quiet alright and are always in need for native speakers.

It really depends on the area you want to go. My advise is go to the big cities such as Frankfurt am Main, Berlin, Koeln, Muenchen and you will be fine. And it would be good, to speak a least a little bit of the language. It will open doors.

And as a German married to an American I disagree with the other answer that Germans do not like Americans.

Good luck.
berliner
2006-07-29 00:48:22 UTC
Low downs:

(1) The law: you have to have a working visa in order to be able to work. You can get it through the German consulate before travelling or through the "Auslaenderbehoerde" where you'd live. An American has fairly good chances of getting one if they convinced the German government that they can do something that ordinary Germans don't (most of the people I know got their first working visas as ESL teachers). If you enroll to a German university (tuition is very minimal in Germany), you can work for 40 hours a month.

(2) Economy: In many places in Germany, and especially in hip places like Berlin there is sharp unemployment now. Baden Wurtmberg has less unemployment, but "foreigners" always suffer. However, I am in the believe that if you have the will, you'll find something.

(3) Societal reactions: I am not black. However, there is racism in Germany. Don't think otherwise and be prepared to deal with it. Racism doesn't always mean violence - usually it is much more subtle: you might have harder time getting a job than a "white" American, you might find some people treating you suspiciously, like an illegal immigrant from Africa, and getting relaxed only when they hear that you're American, etc.

I think basically that German society has a very good quality of life and is very relaxed, but as an immigrant, you'll have some time to adjust and be prepared that the beginning will be rough.
nimo22
2006-07-31 15:07:14 UTC
First of all, German's do not hate American's, and there are a lot of Blacks living here. Sure, sometimes you will encounter German's that don't like American's, but it's rare. I've lived here almost 6 years and I've only encountered one man who was hostile towards us, he was an old guy and I think he must have been a Nazi at one point, but who knows. One idea you could try, I've seen people do it, is get a civilian job at one of the military bases in Germany. It will get you over here, you won't have to worry about a work visa right away, and you can get to know different areas, and you'll be in a place where you can start asking around and find out what you need to do to live and work on the economy. In fact this past weekend we met a guy who came here from America 16 years ago and now lives and works here permanently (he started out on a military post, but now has a German job). But hurry, a lot of the military bases are closing within the next 2 years.
2006-07-28 07:47:50 UTC
You catagorized your question in the area where we live. See "Teaching in Germany, is it possible for a non-Eu citizen?" by searching for it in this Q&A board. I assume you are an American.

Americans can stay for 90 days without a visa.

If you rent, you have 30 days to register with the Mayor's office where you are located. This is true of everyone in Germany.

I will only add that Baden-Wurtetemburg is modern compared to the Rhine area or East Germany. I like it. I've grown accustomed to the winters. The Deutsch girls rave about black men. The Black Gospel concerts sell out at Christmas (Germans are Roman Catholic). To stay here permanently, I would have to show proficiency in speaking/reading German. As it is, I must go to the "county" office every 2 years and get a residency stamp in my passport bringing along my German wife.

I've met a dude from Sierra Leon. Works at MickyD's. He thinks I talk to him because I'm American. Cool dude. He cannot read nor write but he can speak 3 or 4 languages. A priest hired him to help in Holland and then bigMac offered him a 1,000 euro bonus to work in Germany. He only mentioned he was on a 4mos vacation. In my German-learning classroom, a Thai girl was absent, and the other girls said she had to be 90 days out of the country. I don't know what that involves with a visa -- perhaps it has to do with a non-spouse visa.

Lucky I caught you. I'm due overseas by Monday. I'll be in the states for 2 mos.
2006-07-30 06:47:05 UTC
This is a bunch of BUNK about Americans not being liked in Germany nowadays. I have lived here the past 23 years and while I have seen more and more LIBERALS appear, much to the detriment of the country BTW, the only people here who hate Americans per se are the uneducated idiots who mistake them for American foreign policy, which OBTW isn't any different than German foreign policy: every country will protect its own national interests VERY strongly. Let Iran develop its nuclear power and lob a nuke into Munich and see what happens. Aunt Angie will be on the horn to Uncle Jacques quicker than you can say "toute de suite" begging for a similar launch into Tehran.
thunder2sys
2006-07-28 07:34:17 UTC
as a black american you have two things going against you in terms of Germany. You are black and American. Americans are not liked, and lets just say, you think the USA is racists at times, you haven't seen anything yet. I couldn't believe the things that came out of their mouths when i was there.
Lizzy
2006-07-29 03:07:03 UTC
hey your color doen´t matter!!!!!!!!!! but you gotta know that americans aren´t liked ion german these days. but anyways contact a school center or wateva